Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Hollywood Day 1 - Solo Auditions

It's Day 1 of Hollywood, where each contestant has 1 chance to impress the judges. A couple of quick impressions before I get to my favorites.
-Ellen was in no way overly nice - if she was brought in to replace Paula as the nice judge she is not there yet. She is very sarcastic and pretty blunt. A lot of what she said wasn't that interesting though, but it's a first show.
-They are really limiting the number of people they are showing. There were a bunch of people I wanted to know how they were doing and they didn't even show them in passing, or showed them but just in the background.
-Kara making fun of Paula made me happy. (She'd be jumping, screaming, out of control...)
-Guitars are helpful, keyboards are not. (Note: It takes more concentration to play a song on a piano than a guitar if you are just playing the melody. Piano's are probably not a good idea for a singing audition unless you are really tight.
-And finally my DVR hates idol and chopped off the last person. It's getting annoying.

On to my favorites...

Haeley Vaughn was pretty good. She is definitely unique, a young African American girl who sings country/pop. She was very shaky in the beginning but shook off the nerves to do well. Nerves were a constant theme in the show, a few contestants I thought would do well squawked their way through songs, clearly never getting comfortable.

Andrew Garcia brought out the big guns with his ballad version arrangement of Paula Abdul's straight up. It was really good. It was something almost that could have been saved till later. Hopefully he can keep this up as that was a great start to his idol journey. Kara remarked here that Paula would have been jumping, waving her arms (acting like an idiot although she avoided those exact words).


Lilly Scott was pretty good. I don't like her look and I am not sure if I will still want to hear her a few weeks from now. Her voice has a nice tone and she seems rather polished.

I thought Didi Benami was fantastic. Along with Andrew, she was my favorite of the night. She sang a song written (performed?) by Kara. I love how she sings, and I think she is a very likable contestant. I think she is a very solid bet for the final 12, probably the person I have the most confidence in being there.

Note: We need 50 people for next week, and 24 by EOD Thursday. Right now I have 4 people I'd like there. Idol needs to show more people or the first 2 weeks or so of the Top 24 will be very flat as there will be a lot of people that are almost anonymous.

Tomorrow is the drama of GROUPS! I love group day, and I think group day is the bane for the women in this competition at times as the drama almost universally comes from the girls and at times winds up weeding some of them out. See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment